Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

I live in Venice Florida. My dog just killed an

Customer Question

I live in Venice Florida. My dog just killed an armadillo.armadillo body parts are over my lawn.my dog did not eat the armadillo should I be concerned about leprosy and my dog
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: 3yo lab mix , up to date on shots
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No other pertinent info. Want to know if dead armadillo should be tested and whether my dog needs any RX my dog does not appear to have any wounds but the armadillo was bloody!

The risks of transmission of leprosy are pretty low- but there is some risk. I would recommend bathing your dog thoroughly to remove and traces of the blood from his face and body. You should wear gloves to avoid contamination yourself. Ideally- do it outside with a hose, and shampoo or Dawn dish soap. You may want to ask your veterinarian about a prophylactic course of antibiotics for your dog- although they may deem this to be unnecessary. It is still a good idea to have him checked out for any bite wounds just to be sure. I would also give your own Dr.'s office a call to see what their recommendations are regarding potential for human exposure. I do not believe that there is testing available for leprosy in armadillos- but your state or county health department should know for sure. I am sorry you are having to deal with this mess!

Has this helped? If you have no further concerns to address- please provide a rating.

Please don't forget to provide a rating!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Rebekah Kane

Please provide a rating!

Please provide a rating for me so I can receive credit for helping you out, thank you!