Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

My dog is walking drunk and getting lethargic then running

Customer Question

My dog is walking drunk and getting lethargic then running hard and wobbling like parkinsons and falling over
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is Mila tilting her head to one side?

Has she eaten anything out of the ordinary recently?

Does the wobbliness seem constant or does it come and go in episodes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sometimes she tilts her head.
She could have gotten into food scraps.
Comes and goes
She also feels hot
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am very sorry to hear about these episodes that Mila is having. I am currently typing in my answer and will post it within the next 6-8 minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 months ago.

Based on what you are describing, Mila could be having a type of seizure disorder. Seizures can be caused by many different disorders in dogs. Without examining her, giving you an exact diagnosis is going to be difficult though I can tell you some of the more common disorders that could be causing these episodes:

- Ingesting something toxic which has affected her kidneys, liver, brain

- A disorder such as meningitis which is inflammation/an infection of the brain or an overall infection such as a tick borne disease

- Vestibular disease which is a balance disorder similar to vertigo in people. This can be caused by a middle ear infection, though most of the time we cannot figure out the exact cause

- A metabolic disorder such as low blood sugar, kidney or liver disease

- Epilepsy is also possible though at 1 year old she is quite young for this disorder

At this point, her symptoms sound serious therefore I honestly would recommend taking her to your vet today. She will need a full exam and some blood work checked to help determine the exact cause of her symptoms. Your vet will then be able to determine whether she needs an antibiotic or an anti-seizure medication to help her feel better.

Hope this helps - please feel free to reply if you have any questions - thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the info however I live on remote island and will take a few days to get her in to town with vet
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 months ago.

Ok - I understand. That does make getting to a vet much more difficult. If you have a thermometer you can take her temperature rectally - normal in a dog should be about -100.0 F to about 102.5 F. Anything above would obviously be a fever. If her temperature gets to 105-106 F then she could be at a serious risk for organ damage. I would try to keep her cool by placing fans on her, spraying rubbing alcohol on her feet, or placing cool (not cold) water on her. Unfortunately there are not any over the counter medications which could help with seizures. Making sure that she stays hydrated is the next best way to help her. I would also recommend giving her some honey to eat in the case of a low blood sugar.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok will do these things and get to vet asap, thanks
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome.