Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She chewed on a bottle of silicone valve oil and spilled all

Customer Question

she chewed on a bottle of silicone valve oil and spilled all the contents has probably ingested some
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: e
JA: Huh?
Customer: Eila
JA: How old is Eila?
Customer: and 3 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eila?
Customer: she is on antibiotics for an inner ear infection
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure I got this right, is this a petroleum base oil?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there are no ingredients on the packaging

What is the oil used for?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
only silicone is mentioned but it does smell like petroleum

what is the oil used for?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is used for musical instruments. The dog has vomited and seems very thirsty

Friend, I am going to opt out and allow another expert to comment. I am sorry.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. The silicone-containing oils are either derived from petroleum distillates or synthetics but neither are considered to be significant toxins unless ingested in egregious amounts by dogs and that didn't occur with Ella. If necessary, decontamination is done by inducing emesis but Ella has already vomited and is drinking well which is just the ticket because it dilutes however much she did ingest and lessens the chance of significant gastrointestinal irritation developing. There's no reason to treat Ella in any manner at this time. She should normalize within a few hours. It would be prudent to allow her unlimited access to water but fast her for 6 hours now that she has vomited and does have an irritated stomach lining.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.