Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My bassett of eleven years old has a rotten tooth, He has

Customer Question

My bassett of eleven years old has a rotten tooth, He has surgery next Tuesday to remove it. He drools, & kind of sucks his lips in & out, we thought because of pain from his tooth. H eats grass & throws up. Is this because of his rotten tooth. Will surgery clear all this up. He ususally has great health.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, its unlikely the vomiting is related to his tooth. Instead, we'd be concerned about nausea inducing issues like gut infections, pancreatitis, or at his age we'd also have to be wary of metabolic diseases and organ issues.

With this in mind, we do need to tread with care. We can start supportive care for your lad but would absolutely want a check with his vet and have basic bloods tested. That way we can make sure there are none of those issues present and double check that he is safe to undergo anesthesia. Of course, if he is actively vomiting, we need his vet to address and settle this first since we don't want him potentially vomiting under anesthesia when he could aspirate vomit into his lungs and cause pneumonia.

Otherwise, in the meantime, you can try to soothe his stomach at home. To start, you can try to reduce nausea with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. If he settles with that, we can try a light diet for the next few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, these signs are not related to his tooth. So, we do need to be concerned about the above for Tucker and would want to take the above steps to get this settled and make sure he is a good candidate for anesthesia before that potential procedure on Tuesday.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tucker. How is everything going?

nekovet