Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I took my dog to the vet because she ate about Half of a bag

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vet because she ate about Half of a bag of dog food. There was about four kgs in the bag before she ate it. I took her to the vet today and they managed to get the food to pass into her intestinal tract, but she has a lot of gas. How do I know that she won't suffer from bloat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lacey, and she's two and a half. They said I had to give her some medication to stop the nausea, I'm not sure of the name of it though. Apparently she will digest it, but I don't want anything else to happen to her.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Of?
Customer: Not really, I can't think of anything. I just don't want her to get bloat because I've heard that it can be fatal. I know she's got a lot of gas with in her stomach at the moment, and I don't want anything else to happen to her.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, if they have managed to get the food passed out of the stomach, then her risk of bloat at this point is low at this point. This is because Lacey's stomach is no longer overly distended nor in a position for food fermentation to occur in the stomach itself. So, we'd not be overly worried about that at this stage.

So, we'd want to monitor that her gums stay pink, she stays comfort, and her belly doesn't become any more tense or distended. Otherwise, further to the anti-nausea treatment, you can offer small meals of a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, cottage cheese, or white fish) with a bit of fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) +/- a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball treatment, Miralax Lactulose, etc). The diet will be easy on her stomach, the small volumes won't distend it, an the fiber will keep pushing the food through as the GI lubricant helps it slip out. Finally, since this was a large dose of food, we can reduce any gut gas build up by supporting her good gut bacteria with an OTC canine probiotic (ie Fortiflora) +/- a bit of activated charcoal (OTC at most pharmacies and used to bind gas)

Overall, based on everything you have told me about Lacey's case, bloat is not a major risk at this point. Her vets have already seen to reducing that risk and we'd want to use their treatment +/- the above supportive care to just get the rest of the food passed and keep her GI settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much, that puts my mind at ease.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad I could give you peace of mind with your wee lass. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.