Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Is there anything besides her brathing t monitor in case she

Customer Question

is there anything besides her brathing t monitor in case she took suboxone
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: she wimpered, probably got into the subone in last 2 hours, its not enough to make me fel anything and her breathing is fine, just looks a lil sad and let out 1 whimper to wake me up, she seems to like beign outside and just seems sad nothing lse
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: else
JA: How old is Else?
Customer: no notheing else is a symtom her name is ***** ***** is 7 months old beagle bloodhound mix weighs 25 ish punds
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ciri?
Customer: no she is in perfect health
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What dose did she get?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
checking now.... one minute please
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

No worries,

Dr B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
her pulse is fine , teeth and gums normal, a lil diareeah and prefers to stay outside were its cool for now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

And the dose she had?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she has smalll little like body shivers, but is moving around fine, she might not have had at all.... I was worried she might have...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I appreciate that, but can you tell me the dose (milligrams) of the tablet so I may work out the toxicity risk here for you and then advise you on what we need to do for her?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
at most like 4 mgs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Let me compose my thoughts.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now the reason I was keen to know the dose is because we do use both drugs at times in our dogs. Most often it is the Buprenorphine and I’d note that this dose relative to her weight is more than we'd use but only 1.5x more. So, if we are not seeing severe sedation, breathing depression, and collapse 2 hours on; then we'd not be overly worried here for your lass.

With this in mind and considering the timeframe, we have 2 options here. We can just monitor her over the next 12-24 hours. Or you can consider treating her with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. But again given the nature of the drug, her mild signs, and the time frame, we'd not expect serious issue here and can just choose to monitor her at this point.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )