Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 8 yr old chow mix has had diarrhea since Tues afternoon

Customer Question

My 8 yr old chow mix has had diarrhea since Tues afternoon and has been vomiting clear fo***** *****quid about every 20 mins for 3 hours. The diarrhea was a little bloody the last 2 times, but not a lot coming out. Has always had sensitive stomach. Not
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no...I did try to introduce evangers chicken and rice with his wild calling canned food on Sat so I'm not sure if that's what's wrong.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Canned?
Customer: No ? He's always eaten grass and throws it up but now it's just clear fo***** *****quid he's trying to bury
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did you make a quick diet change or were you slowly weaning him over?

Can he keep water down?

How much blood are you seeing? A spoonful, more or less?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing is staying down. Probably not as slowly as I should have in new food, but he eats the evanger beef and chicken a lot so I wasn't as concerned with the new food by same company.
He's been outside for the past hour and came in a vominted a huge amount of water with little foam. I see him squatting but nothing coming out now. No food since this morning. Not sure about his gums since he's back outside.
Blood was a few drops with diarrhea, which was also just a little more drops.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that it was only a small amount of blood in his diarrhea. In that case, that is likely to be related to colonic irritation/inflammation and his straining. So, if we can soothe his GI, we'd expect that to settle as well. Though I do have to note that if your lad isn't able to keep water down then we may be in a position where we need his vet to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication to break the nausea cycle.

That said, if we are sure he has not ingested anything harmful and hasn't just vomited, we could try him on an OTC antacid. Often we will use Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep that down, then again we'll likely need injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet to settle him enough for oral treatment.

Though if he can, we can plan to offer small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. As well, we can also add fiber to this (ie canned pumpkin,all bran) as these can safely bulk up the stool to reduce diarrhea further. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk when they have upper and lower GI signs, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, since the blood was likely irritation induced, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria (ideal in quick diet changes). So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, if the new diet was started a bit too quickly in a sensitive stomached dog, then this could be our trigger for these signs. Of course, we'd also have to be wary of brewing gut infections, pancreatitis, or dietary indiscretions. In any case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I'll take him in to my vet as soon as they open to find out what is going on.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a fine plan of action.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He had a bacterial infection in his intestines so he was given fluids and antibiotics. He started to feel better on Sat. afternoon and is eating small bland meals. Thanks for checking back with me.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome & thank you for the update,

I am very glad that they found the cause, that he is responding to treatment, and is on the mend. :)

Best wishes & keep up the good work,

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )