Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My chihuahua weighs 13 lbs and chewed a roach motel. She

Customer Question

My chihuahua weighs 13 lbs and chewed a roach motel. She punctured the plastic with teeth marks and I don't know If she actually ingested any of the substance inside. She didn't eat any of the plastic that I can see.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She seems to want to sleep
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Although she has had an active day and she usually wants to go to sleep about this time. Should I be alarmed?

Can you give me the name/brand of the roach motel? Was it Black Flag? If you can upload a photo of the product package with any active ingredients/chemicals- that would be helpful.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was Combat and I don't have the packaging

Ok, give me a minute please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The packaging is predominately black

OK- I am finding different types of Combat roach baits- some contain fipronil- which should not cause any toxic effects. The other ingredient found in some of the other combat roach products is hydramethylnon 2%. I am not familiar with this- so will open up the conversation to other experts to see if we can get a better answer for you.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Kane for you. Hydramethylnon is a low toxicity pyrethroid. In essence, if your Chihuahua ingested the entire contents of that motel there wouldn't be enough of either fipronil or hydramethylnon to intoxicate her. It doesn't sound as if she ingested any in any event. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.