Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I am on a 2 week vacation in the forest with my 6 month old

Customer Question

Hi there. I am on a 2 week vacation in the forest with my 6 month old 45 pound make Australian shepherd, Sandwich.
The nearest vet is 2 hours away and I had to drive 20 minutes to get to a location that has wifi to ask this question.
Yesterday morning sandwich yelping when I was petting him and grazed his mouth.
From what I can see, he does not have any obvious marks, cuts or anything inside his mouth but reacts by yelping loudly when I touch his lips or when he licks his lips. His sore spot seems to be inside his mouth on his lip. It is in the right side and his right eye is puffy (not crazy big) and has a little bit of drainage. He is acting depressed and sad and is resting a lot.
He loves to chase insects and eat them. Yesterday when I noticed all this I have assumed he got bit by something so I gave him 25 Mgs of Benadryl.
Today he is a little better but still very sore around his mouth and yelps every once in a while when he touches it. His eye still looks slightly swollen.
We wet his dog food with broth and he is eating and drinking fine.
At this point, should I relax and hope that he keeps getting better? or drive the 2 hours to a vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he eating and drinking?

2- Is he lethargic?

3- Is he walking any different?

4- How many times have you given Benadryl 25mg?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi there.
1 yes eating and drinking and going to the bathroom as normal
2 yes slightly lethargic. I don't know if he is just depressed or lethargic. He comes when called and we've gone for 2 different several hour walks and participated as normal, except yelping every once in a while when he bumped his face.
3 no
4 I gave him 1 25mg tablet yesterday around 7pm and one this morning around 11am
5 no other symptoms

1- I am a bit confused, are able to see any sore or swelling in his mouth or just the yelping when you manipulate his mouth?

2- Do you happen to have tylenol (acetaminophen) with you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I do not see a spot or swelling in his mouth. I know that is where the pain is coming because we pressed and found a small area in him lip that the pain is coming from.
His eye above it it swollen.
Yes I have acetopetaphin

How many milligrams is the acetaminophen you have?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, if you are seeing swelling above the eye it is possible this could be the source of the pain as well. Common causes are: An insect bite, soft tissue injury, etc. This is what you can try:

1- Starting benadryl is a good idea. But, the dose for dogs is 1mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. So, increase the benadryl to 25mg 2 tablets (50mg) every 12 hours.

2- Acetaminophen 500mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for 2-3 days. Do Not give things like ibuprofen or naproxen.

3- Rest him for the next couple of days, limit activity to a short walk to urinate and defecate.

4- If no significant improvement within 24 hours of doing the above I would have him checked by a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.