Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

My dog may have eaten 2 levetiractam 500 mg that were dog, 8

Customer Question

Hi. My dog may have eaten 2 levetiractam 500 mg that were for another dog
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if May will be able to digest that. How old is May?
Customer: 8 years. And 18 pounds
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about May?
Customer: No. She's healthy. No health issues
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I have good news for you. This is a high dose but not a dangerous dose. This drug has been tested up to the point where your dog could have eaten 18 of them and generally the only side effects are sedation, vomiting, and drooling. The only side effect to be concerned about is if she starts vomiting more than 3-4 times then the vet should administer an anti-vomiting shot to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated. In most cases this will cause minimal if any problem at all. She'll likely be just fine. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan