Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I hAVE A hUSKY AND HE IE BEEN SNEEZING A WEEK AND NOW HE IS

Customer Question

i hAVE A hUSKY AND HE IE BEEN SNEEZING FOR ABOUT A WEEK AND NOW HE IS IS MAKE WIER NOISE THAT WAKES ME UP AT NIGHT AND I SEARCH AND ICAME OUT AS A REVERSE SNEEZE AND MY DAUGHTER IN LOVE THINK THE I BEEN POISONING THE DOG. WHAT TO DO
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: DRY DOG FOOD
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: IS MY SON DOG BUT I AM THE ONE WHO TAKE CARE OFTHE DOG SINCE HE CAME IN MY HOUSE AND NOW THEY MYSON AND HIS GIRLFRIEND WANTS TO SELL THE DOG AND I AM VERY SAD BEACUSE I LOVE HIM. WHAT CAN I DO?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Reverse sneezing (please see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_Sw) which is defined as repeated paroxysmal snoring-like inspiratory efforts secondary to nasopharyngeal irritation can be a normal occurrence in many dogs but can also be associated with any nasal or nasopharngeal disease. In this case, your dog's sneezing is the clue that either allergy ("hay fever"), respiratory infection, a foreign body (foxtail, e.g./see image below) in the nasal cavity, or rarer disorders are causing both his sneezing and reverse sneezing. Because, such symptoms are often self-limiting and rarely affect my patient's quality of life, "watchful waiting" is appropriate for up to a week to see if these symptoms remiss unaided. If not, or he worsens within a week instead, his vet can take a look at your dog's throat during a physical exam and then treat predicated upon the vet's findings.