Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a 3 year old (she's adorable of course) but she has

Customer Question

Hi there - I have a 3 year old (she's adorable of course) but she has itchy skin a lot but has developed a hard spot right in the middle of her chest deep in her fur - you can't see it but you can feel it - it is painful because she doesn't like it to be touched at all. what could it be?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: what does this have to do with flea medicine?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: she's not even on flea meds - has no fleas - very healthy pug just skin issues like most pugs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

It could be a focal area of skin infection such as a furuncle or abscess, inflamed cyst or tumor. Because it's painful to her, her vet should shave the hair around it in order to assess the true extent of it and then needle aspirate it and examine the aspirate microscopically if it can't be diagnosed by simple direct visualization. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.