Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Elevated liver enzymes, platelets are falling. couldn't keep

Customer Question

elevated liver enzymes, platelets are falling. couldn't keep food down but could keep water down. had diarrhea and has become week
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: blizzard, age 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blizzard?
Customer: he ate some mouse parts the cat left behind. the cat is fine. he has dropped 10 lbs and his urine was rusty brown and his gums pale and dry
JA: The Veterinarian will know if Blizzard will be able to digest that. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: the neighbor has rat poison in his barn but the dog wouldn't have been able to get in but the cat catches mice and leaves them behind all the time and this time the dog ate the left overs before I could clean up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
blizzard has received fluids via catheter for the last two days and been given anti vomit and nausea meds. today they started the steroids and mild thistle
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Blizzard. I can't attribute the rodenticide for his current condition. The two types of rodenticides don't cause hepatopathy (liver disorders). One type causes uncontrolled bleeding (brodifacoum, e.g.) while the other type causes central nervous system toxicity (bromethalin, e.g.). In addition, the cat remained well. There's something else going on that needs to be clarified and that might entail ultrasounding Blizzard's liver and needle biopsying it under ultrasound guidance. The elevated liver enzymes are important findings but don't tell us why they're elevated.

Can you upload a copy of all of Blizzars's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Blizzard's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as I not only review the test results but note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will certainly try and get you a copy of those records. I pick him up tonight to bring home over night. they did xrays and ultra sound that showed nothing

I appreciate it. Even normal findings are important because they limit the number of differential diagnoses to consider. If you can upload X-ray and ultrasound reports as well I would be pleased to review those too.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?