Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is coming out of her crate in the morning scared,

Customer Question

My dog is coming out of her crate in the morning scared, shaking and acting sheepish. She won't leave my side, won't eat a treat and won't go outside. She is 9 yo and this never happened before. It has been three days in a row and she remains scared for several hour, then back to normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rocket
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocket?
Customer: She does have seizures about once every four months.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear that Rocket is showing these symptoms. My primary concern with her age and this happening in the morning is pain related? With ambulation/ moving around the stiffness subsides and she is back to normal. The other possibility is there is a noise or vibration beyond our ability that is causing her anxiety overnight and she is now associating with the crate...

Is there any way to get her out on a walk first thing in the morning, even 10-15 minutes to see how she moves, get her mind to move past whatever fear that she might be experiencing, and see how she does? In addition, videotaping the morning so that if you do need to consider a veterinary exam they can see what she is doing to get a better idea of what is the potential cause?

If you have benadryl perhaps trying that at bedtime 1 mg/ pound to see if that allows her to rest more fitfully along with a nice long walk before bed. I am not sure if this is going to be effective, especially if this is pain related but if it is fear related this should make a difference in her response.

I would not advise coddling the behavior as this can reinforce her fears and cause escalation each day. Simply ignore her (which I do understand is very challenging) until she returns to normal

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope Rocket is feeling better soon...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you