Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog (4 year old deaf and blind Australian Shepherd) was

Customer Question

My dog (4 year old deaf and blind Australian Shepherd) was fine yesterday. In the middle of the night she jumped down out of my bed and went to sleep on couch.In the morning she came in to my room whining and shaking. All day she is just laying around not drinking or eating. Took out to go the bathroom and she just sat there not moving. Brought her back in and she's still sleeping. We've had for two months and she's been great until today. very worried.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: I don't think it's lethargy. Something seemed to have happened and she was shaking. She has no interest in food, treats or water. Seems like she can barely stand up, and won't get up one her own.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear your Aussie is having difficulties. Is there any chance she could have injured herself, fallen off the bed or steps that has resulted in an injury to her back? Often they don't cry out but show symptoms of trembling (an indicator of pain), hesitating to move around, moving stiff/ tail tucked

This would definitely be my first inclination...when in this type of pain dogs will not eat or drink and medications are required to control their pain once diagnosed and get them comfortable so that they will recover and begin to eat/ drink again...

Is this possible in her condition?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think so. She gets around pretty good and I can't imagine her getting hurt from sliding off the couch. She walked into the room okay this morning, but she doesn't want to move now.

Unfortunately I can attest to the fact that it doesn't even have to be something they did. I have herniated discs in my back by just walking around and at one point shaking out a sheet. With her symptoms my first inclination is orthopedic or neurologic pain. I have had dogs that come in that have not done anything out of the ordinary and this is the diagnosis...

I hope you were able to get her to your veterinarian today.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you and best of luck to you both

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman