Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Mt dog has been on antibiotics week mile bronchitis. Now her

Customer Question

Mt dog has been on antibiotics for a week for some mile bronchitis. Now her stomach is distended and hard and she is not eating like her usual Pug self. Her bowel movements are not as many or as much as normal. Could it be a side effect of the antibiotics?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What antibiotic was she started on?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Is she drinking water normally?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Doxycycline 100 mg yes she is drinking water. No wretch in except for her cough. She has her normal lip licking. She tenses when I press on her belly
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Her gums are fairly moist
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

Now this medication doesn't tend to cause distension of the stomach (which is likely related to her reduced bowel movements) but often causes nausea/GI upset. Therefore, we'd want to try some supportive care for Mia to see if we can soothe her stomach, get her eating properly, and passing normal stool.

To start, to counter the nausea likely putting her off her food, you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider tempting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Whichever you choose consider adding some fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) +/- a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hair ball medication, Miralax, Lactulose, etc). Both can just help keep stool moving normally and will hopefully clear out her gut and reduce her distension while doing so.

Overall, her appetite loss is likely due to the antibiotic. Though it sounds like we may also have a degree of constipation brewing which can be indirectly related. So, as long as she has normal colored gums and her belly isn't sore (we need to keep an eye if she tenses, but want to try to settle her with the above to see if that reduces just now); we'd want to use the above for her. Of course, if her signs linger, we may need her vet to use an alternative antibiotic or dispense an anti-nausea treatment for you to keep her on during this course to counter these signs.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )