Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My 70lb golden retriever / standard poodle is 9 years old.

Customer Question

My 70lb golden retriever / standard poodle is 9 years old. He takes trifexis orally for heart worms and fleas, but he's generally an inside dog and is going to spend a week with friends at the lake. He won't get in the water much but was a little afraid of ticks and extra exposure to fleas. Can I put a Sentry Pro collar on him? Active ingredients are Propoxur, Phenothrin, N-Octyl bicyclopheptene dicarboximide, and Pyriproxyfen.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. There should be no negative interactions between the Trifexis, which is taken orally, and the collar you are describing. There are some dogs that experience irritation from the flea and tick collars, but most do fine with them. I would just keep a close eye on the skin around the neck for the first few days after placing the collar on Boone to be sure there isn't any topical irritation!