Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

My dog was fine this morning. We went on a walk he has two

Customer Question

My dog was fine this morning. We went on a walk he has two bowel movement both of which were solid and normal. We came inside and he started acting strange. He has been panting and had difficulty getting comfortable. He been laying around, but not really sleeping. He ate dinner and drank some
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Water but he's just not normal. He is Copper and he's 10. He's a beagle.
JA: What is the beagle's name?
Customer: His name is Coppwr.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cooper?
Customer: He got into the trash can last night. There wasn't a lot in it, but there was a meat tray from some chicken (no chicken or bones) potato peelings and some egg shells.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you there
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I'm here to help you with Copper. Did the meat tray have any grease or fat?

Did Copper eat a normal amount of food today?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There was nothing but the meat tray and the plastic wrap and little plastic thing they put under the chicken from the grocery store. There was no trimmings or anything. It was boneless skinless chicken breast wrapper and tray. He ate breakfast this morning and dinner tonight same as always but he wasn't really interested in his dinner until prodded.

Ok, thank you for that information. It is possible Copper has an upset stomach from licking the tray and nibbling on other things in the garbage. Some dogs can get mild upset stomachs that pass with time, others can develop pancreatitis--a painful condition which results in severe inflammation and abdominal pain.

I'm a bit worried as he is panting and not getting comfortable. Do you think his belly looks bloated?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He laying down on the couch where he's been for the past several hours and seems to be fairly comfortable now. His stomach looks like it may be a little swollen. It's not hard and he will let me rub it without wincing or anything.

Great, it sounds like he may be feeling better. I recommend monitoring him very closely tonight. Panting and pacing can be signs of abdominal pain. It is difficult to know everything he may have ingested, so if he is not his normal self, a trip to the vet may be a good idea to ensure he does not have an intestinal blockage.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would have already taken him to our vet but we are lot of town. Thank you for your help. One last question. I'm worried that he hasn't wanted to go outside to urinate. Should I be concerned?

I would not be concerned about him not urinating, as long as he is not straining to urinate or acting painful. He may not feel the need to urinate if he is dehydrated from panting.

Feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance tonight. I hope Copper is feeling better soon!

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you

You're welcome!