Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I pulled a foxtail out of the upper eyelid of my dogs eye.

Customer Question

I pulled a foxtail out of the upper eyelid of my dogs eye. It was 1 1/2 inches long. i pulled it out with tweezers that i sterilized. He has stopped trying to paw/rub eye. it is still seeping a little. Not sure if I should give it a day or not.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Eye foxtails often cause significant damage to the cornea and so after removing them, I'll instill an ophthalmic antibiotic - either once or for a few days if fluoroscein staining of the cornea reveals considerable abrasions or ulcerations. He may do well if you keep the eye clean by flushing it with artificial tears a few times over the next 48 hours but I'd be more comfortable knowing that his vet stains that cornea and treats as I mentioned if necessary. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it ok to use Visine or only saline only?

Saline or artificial tears only. Visine contains a decongestant which is drying and would delay healing. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.