Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

10yr old staffy, has quite sudden onset of the following

Customer Question

10yr old staffy, has quite sudden onset of the following symptoms:diminished balance, loss of flexibility when standing or sitting down.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Also swollen lower limbs. Small traces of blood in urine when recently tested. Has begun whimpering in sleep as if he is crying in pain.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Beefy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Beefy?
Customer: no nothing in particular. He is normally a fit healthy dog
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Beefy. The most important clue is his swollen lower limbs. This is called a dependent edema and is seen primarily with right-sided heart failure and/or hypoalbuminemia (decreased serum albumin level). Albumin is a small protein needed to keep fluids inside vessels and out of "third spaces" such as the interstitium of the limbs, thoracic or abdominal cavities. Hypoalbuminemia can result from a poorly functioning liver that can't produce enough albumin, or albumin loss through failing kidneys (which his hematuria/blood in the urine may be indicating) or damaged bowel.

Beefy's vet will need to take another look at him. Careful auscultation (listening to) his heart and diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests should reveal the etiology of this edema and his other behavior. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?