Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog got into the supply of nexguard and heartguard. She

Customer Question

My dog got into the supply of nexguard and heartguard. She ate 4 doses of nexguard and 10 heartguard what do I need to do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Biscuit she is 70 lbs and 5
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Biscuit
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Biscuit?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she ate the pills?

2- How many milligrams were the pills?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
About 30 minutes
The nexguard was 136 and the heartguard was 227 mg so total that is nexguard 544 and heartguard 2270 and yes

Please give me a minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, upon calculating the toxic dose for both the Heartgard and Nexgard it is not likely to be toxic or life threatening. However, to be on the safe side you can try to induce vomiting with peroxide. This is what you can do:

1- Give her 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the pills in the vomit observe her for the next day. Symptoms to look for that would require a vet visit are: Vomiting, lethargy, tremors, anorexia, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.