Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dogs third eyelid in s left eye is covering part of s

Customer Question

My dogs third eyelid in his left eye is covering part of his eye. I also noticed the pupil is smaller in his left eye compared to the right one. The left one also seems smaller like he's not opening his eye as much as the right one. What's wrong with him and what do I do? Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You've nicely described Horner's syndrome in that left eye. This describes a loss of sympathetic innervation to the eye. Symptoms may include miosis (smaller than usual pupil), ptosis (dropped upper eyelid, causing a smaller palpebral fissure ("not opening his eye as much...")), enophthalmos (the eye can look smaller and sunken in the orbit), protrusion of the third eyelid, and absence of the blink reflex. Risk factors include blunt trauma, cervical/thoracic spinal cord damage as seen with degenerative disk disease or fibrocartilaginous embolism (an interruption of the vascular supply to the spinal cord), surgical trauma or neoplastic infiltration of the neck, intracranial (within the skull) neoplasia, otitis media or other middle ear lesions, a retrobulbar mass or inflammation. If the middle ear is the source, a head tilt, nystagmus (eyes flicking back and forth) and/or facial paralysis may be seen.

It's best that Bubba's vet take a look at Bubba. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bubba. How is everything going?