Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our 15 yr old cockapoo has gradually become blind. She is

Customer Question

Our 15 yr old cockapoo has gradually become blind. She is very healthy and happy, except for anxiety when she is left alone. No more hobbies, so how can we settle her down?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, That sounds rough for poor little Bella. It is actually quite common for older dogs to develop separation anxiety as they age. It seems to be even worse when they are no longer visual. You may want to talk to your family veterinarian about alprazolam (xanax) to use when needed. Melatonin also works in some dogs and is available over the counter. I think it works better in combination with an anti-anxiety medication but would be safe to try by itself first to see if it helps. What does Bella weigh? I can calculate the dose for you if you'd like. Please let me know if you have any other questions- Dr. C