Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Heavy milky mucus, never noticed odor, sneezes out gobs

Customer Question

heavy milky mucus, never noticed odor, sneezes out gobs sounds like she is very congested other wise happy older dog= chow and? mix. two courses of antibiotics produced no change
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gypsy and I'm really horrible with time. My daughter thinks we had her on 9/11. she was a real rescue from the pound. I put a hold on her and when i came to get her i was told she had a fever and was going to be put down... over my dead body. I had animal rescue group come get her and yes, she did get very sick but i am an attentive and never mind I swear she talks to me. I know all about her losing her first litter and it being a thunderstorm at the time.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gypsy?
Customer: she has NEVER had a rabies shot but takes triflexis and is regularly tested for heart worms, and she knows she is sick she follows me from room to room. the vet wanted to do
JA: There are all sorts of infestations Gypsy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: 4
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You mentioned that you had her on 9/11 but what was her estimated age at that time? Such a rhinitis unresponsive to antibiotics usually turns out to have an idiopathic (unknown cause) basis but thought to be immune-mediated (an over-active local immune system in the nose) or, less commonly, a fungal basis.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When we first got her she was between 9 months and a year, having had her first litter. I hit the wrong key and cut myself off while I was trying to say the vet wants to do $400 worth of blood work. I have been rather disabled these last couple of years and if I had that kind of money, i think the doctors and hospital were in line first. I was scouring our medicine cabinet and checking to see if it was safe to give her . . .Musinex with Difenhydrate or Benedryl didn't seem like a good match. Personally from the noises she makes I think her lungs are full of mucus like COPD but she has never been around anyone who smoked. Oh and she has always had problems with her ears that no vet could find a reason for and now she is deaf and still shakes her head and scratches themYou supposed answer wasn't really an answer on what to do FOR her. We could sit around and throw possibilities all night but for what purpose I am not sure. WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP RELIEVE HER CONGESTION?????

Thank you for the additional information. Over the counter nasal saline drops can be helpful. You can certainly see how an antihistamine such as Benadryl dosed at 1-2 mg/lb every 12 hours (maximum dose of 50 mg at any one time) affects her. The decongestants aren't well tolerated by dogs and should be avoided. What I'd like to see, however, is how she responds to an immunosuppressive dose of prednisone because I suspect that she's one of the dogs with underdiagnosed lymphoplasmacytic rhinitis (the "immune mediated" rhinitis I mentioned earlier). Prednisone is very inexpensive and so discuss your financial constraints with her vet and ask if he/she would be willing to dispense prednisone as a therapeutic trial. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She was so clogged up I used a quick tip to swab it out. That helped for awhile but I had to do it again . Then she finally sneezed and more was expelled. . Good thing I had kids and ran a child care, I some what gross proof. I'm going to try to give her benadryl once I get out my calculator

"Gross proof" comes in handy in this business.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't do anything with our vet since they are quite a distance away and I'm not allowed to drive. Any vet is going to see her first...problems everywhere.

I understand.