Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My small dog just ate a Marijuana brownie. I tried to get m

Customer Question

My small dog just ate a Marijuana brownie. I tried to get him to vomit using hydrogen peroxide with no results. Help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Schotzie 9 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Schmooze?
Customer: Schotzie is a shitzu
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

How much does he weigh?

How much peroxide did you give?

How much marijuana and cocoa powder was in the brownie he ate?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
About 1/2 hr ago. He is 20# ***** cocoa, I'm not sure how much ate, 2tsp
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I let him "sleep " it off
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am very glad to hear that we don't have a chocolate toxicity as well. In that case, we need to focus on the marijuana. In regards ***** ***** former, this can cause lethargy, vomiting, hallucinations, wobbliness, behavior changes, tremors, and seizures.

Now to be safe, it'd be better to induce vomiting if we can. If he is 20lbs, he needs at least 4tsp to do so. Therefore,its worth trying once more if possible If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise if he just won’t vomit, we can try to block absorption by using activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. As well, do encourage him to drink to flush this out.

Overall, if we aren't sure how much he had, letting him sleep it off is not advisable. Instead, we'd want to try a proper dose of peroxide to see if we can get this out of his system. If he is stubborn, then activated charcoal treatment would be ideal to head off any issue for him here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?