How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 10919
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Nothing yet but I believe my 7 pound Chihuahua ingested one

Customer Question

Nothing yet but I believe my 7 pound Chihuahua ingested one oxybutynin 5 milligram tablet. Will she have any effect
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the Chihuahua will be able to digest that. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: I don't believe so I'm not real positive that she did ingest it it was sitting out and now it's not where it was and she likes to be nosy around the table it was on
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both tonight

Although rarely used in dogs the dose administered is 0.2 mg/ kg so at 7 pounds (3.2 kg) this would be 0.6 mg. At an ingestion of 5 mg you can see this is well beyond the therapeutic dose for this medication.

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (3/4 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Overdosage may cause CNS effects (e.g., restlessness, excitement, seizures), cardiovascular effects (e.g., hyper- or hypotension, tachycardia, circulatory failure), fever, nausea or vomiting. Massive overdoses may lead to paralysis, coma, respiratory failure and death. Treatment of overdoses should consist of general techniques to limit absorption of the drug from the GI tract and supportive care as required.

There were 82 single agent exposures to oxybutynin reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) during 2009-2013. Of these animals 74 were dogs, with 20 being symptomatic (25% vomiting).

So if there is no vomiting, potentially more than an hour ago, or then please consider a veterinary er to give stronger medication to induce vomiting and administered activated charcoal which will reduce the absorption of the medication therefore any possible side effects.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!