Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Over night my springer spaniel started coughing up foamy

Customer Question

Over night my springer spaniel started coughing up foamy clear mucus. I thought maybe she had gotten a hold to some tissue and chewed it because it looked like pieces were in the mucous but it been over 12 hours & she's still hacking but not as much
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the springer spaniel's name and age?
Customer: KAMI SHE 'S 4Y/O
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kami?
Customer: She just recently finished taking meds for an allergy/sinus flare up. An antihistamine/steroid & an antibiotic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Kami is having this cough that is productive.

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant

2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs

3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! Since the cough is productiveI would advise a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure reinstituting antibiotics are not warranted. This could potentially be allergy related or the medication she was previously on might have left her susceptible to infection which can have a 7-14 day incubation period (the steroids you listed)

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am online another 25 minutes if I can be of any further assistance this evening

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope you were able to get your Kami comfortable last night with my suggestions

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman