Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 9 year old snauzher went on Saturday. The groomer said

Customer Question

My 9 year old snauzher went for grooming on Saturday. The groomer said she found a tick by his ear. He is itching by his hind legs and now I noticed he has diarrhea too.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes my husband and I looked and no skin irritations. He has had a few in the past so we know what to do for that. He is on grain free food and has been since 6 mos.old. do u think he had a allergic reaction to the tickids traetment?
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Fritz
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fritz?
Customer: He had bladder stones removed last year.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The itching may be secondary to the tick, but it's probably more likely to be due to a skin irritation from the grooming. Clipping and shampoo and perfumes can all potentially lead to an inflammatory response in the skin. It's not a bad thing, it's just the skin reacting to something foreign.

To help with the itching, you can give over the counter Benadryl. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.

The diarrhea is likely secondary to stress. Stress colitis will usually go away on it's own over 2-3 days. To help, you can add some fiber to the diet. An easy way to do that is to give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin in his meals.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just noticed he also has a big scab in one ear and a small one in the other. Is this from the tick too? We have two snauzherseparate that get groomed every 4 weeks and are indoor pets and they have never had fleas or ticks before this.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

No, that would be more likely from itching/ allergies.

A scab from a tick should be right at the site of the bite and fairly small.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. We were giving him benadryl already I got worried when he got the diarrhea. I really appreciate your help and this is a great site!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

No problem, happy to help.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?