Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My elderly golden retriever is a very picky eater. my mother

Customer Question

My elderly golden retriever is a very picky eater. For years my mother who kept her for me during the day fed her a lot of table food. As a result she does not want anything by table food which causes GI problems. The digestive health dog food works well for her but I cannot get her to eat it on a regular basis. I have tried putting just a small amount of lean chicken in with her dog food to attract her to the food. She will have no part of it and she will go for days without eating. Needless to say she is losing weight and this is not healthy either. I have taken her to the Vet and there is really nothing physically wrong other than her age. Any suggestions ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today.

Friend, request from your family vet a prescription food called a/d; most dogs love this food. What you will do is mix the a/d with her regular dog food and gradually wean her off the a/d. During this time she should not be fed table food or treats. Once she is eating all of her food she can have treats again. If someone at home continues to give people food without you knowing it will be very difficult to get her to eat her dog food.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter