Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.

My 7 lb puppy picked up a got the hotshot ant trap from the

Customer Question

My 7 lb puppy picked up a got the hotshot ant trap from the kitchen he seems fine but was concerned he may of ingested a little of the poisen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. I'm Dr. Jo, a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'll start by telling you that most of these products are not terribly dangerous for dogs. Typically the worst problem that can occur is when the plastic of the trap is consumed and causes a blockage. It sounds like that's not the case for you.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Please tell me if your 7-pound dog is otherwise healthy and on no medications.

Also, how old is he and what kind of dog?

And exactly how long ago did this happen?

How is he acting right now?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

While I await your reply, I'll let you know that the poisons in HotShot ant traps are very specific and tend to act only against insects. This keeps household dogs and cats safe. Most of the time, there are no problems after an exposure like this to an otherwise healthy dog on no medications. Some dogs have more sensitive stomachs than others, and might show some mild vomiting. This usually goes away without treatment after 24 hours.

I'll post a link to an article about how to care for a dog with upset stomach and vomiting below.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

This article does a great job explaining how to care for a vomiting puppy at home.

Again, I don't expect this type of exposure to cause any problem at all for an otherwise healthy (albeit tiny) puppy on no medications. But, if it does upset his stomach a little, you'll know what to do.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?