Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I just found this in my dogs stool, he has been acting odd

Customer Question

I just found this in my dogs stool, he has been acting odd all day and won't come to me when I call him. This is the first IV noticed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

That appears to represent hematochezia - blood in his stool. I wouldn't be surprised if he became diarrheic. Can you think of anything Max ingested that might have caused such bleeding? Does Max have a history of pancreatitis, hepatitis, gastroenteritis, etc.?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All that I'm aware of is his dog food which has been the same as well as a pigs ear and a bone, both of which are USA made

Thank you. There are more possible causes of hematochezia than I could list in this venue. A simple dietary indiscretion - ingesting something new, inappropriate, spoiled, or perhaps a non-food item is probably the most common cause of what is likely to be a colitis but at Max's age I also have to consider problems outside the gastrointestinal tract that affect the GI tract - pancreatitis, hepatitis, e.g. Because he's not otherwise well ("acting odd"/reclusing himself) and he's not a spring chicken, I'm willing to "watchful wait" for no more than 24 hours. If you didn't see an appreciable improvement within that time period, I'd be more comfortable knowing that his vet will take a look at him.

You can feed and water as usual but if he isn't interested in eating, please don't force-feed. If vomiting ensues and drinking induces more vomiting, please replace his water with ice cubes for him to lick. Please continue our conversation if you wish.