Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He's shaking and looks very sad. He is a Pitbull terrier and

Customer Question

He's shaking and looks very sad. He is a Pitbull terrier and he is 7 yrs old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Rufus
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rufus?
Customer: No. He is a house pet. But he is always very boisterous and now he is judt laying there quietly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Trembling/ shaking is a common sign of pain in dogs. Often times it's due to back pain. Back pain from a ruptured disc is a common diagnosis that we make in veterinary medicine. Many of these dogs come in for trembling, panting, inability to get comfortable, reluctance to jump up, reluctance to climb stairs, and yelping. The signs are quite vague.

We can often times get a pain response when we press down on the spine just behind the rib cage. This may cause vocalizing or even just holding their breath or buckling their knees.

The treatment is usually with 1-2 weeks of pain meds (Rimadyl, Gabapentin, Tramadol) and rest/ crate confinement.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.

You're welcome.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hi Maria,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?