Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

What to give a dog when he is trowing s food when he drinks

Customer Question

what to give a dog when he is trowing his food when he drinks water
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

What does his vomit look like?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he hasbeen like that or 3 days so far he vomit is food and water his gums or pink moist his belly seems find fpr the food I know that he did grab some bones when I was going for a walk with him at times no diarrhea
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the vomit is just his food and the water well its water
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Do you know what type of bones they were?

Did he swallow them whole? Chew them to bits?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

I cannot offer a phone call at this time but will give you my thoughts on Sam's situation.

First, if he did have bones, we do need to tread with care. Bones can cause the signs we are seeing but can also cause gut blockages and even damage or perforate the gut. So, any belly pain, black stools, paling gums, or if he doesn’t settle with the supportive care I will outline and we’d want him seen urgently.

Otherwise, just to note, further to bones we can see vomiting of this nature due to bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). As well, at his age, we can also see this with IBD, metabolic or organ issues, or even cancer.

With this all in mind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As well, since we have a bone risk, you can add canned pumpkin to these meals to help coat the bones and push them through the gut. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Still, if we have a bone ingestion, we need to tread with care. So, in his case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down, shows any of the signs I noted above, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there are no bones causing harm in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sam. How is everything going?