Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My three dogs ate some raw potato skins that were from last

Customer Question

My three dogs ate some raw potato skins that were from last nights meal out of the tras can about an hour ago. Are they toxic and what do I do? Help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, raw potato is actually toxic to us all. This is because the potato plant is part of the deadly nightshade family. This is why cooking potatoes before eating them is quite important. Now the level of risk here does depend on how much they had and how much they each weigh since this tends to be dose depending. Though if they did have quite a bit or one had more then the others, we could see GI upset (vomiting, drooling, appetite loss, diarrhea), lethargy depression, and in severe cases, tremors and seizures.

With this in mind, we have 2 options. First, if it has been an hour, you can still induce vomiting to get them to bring up as much of this as possible. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee ones walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of their stomachs and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise, you can choose to monitor and address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee ones have any know health issues or are on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, raw potato is not something any of us should be eating. If they had a small amount, we can just monitor and treat any stomach upset. But if they had a lot or one had most of these, then we'd want to induce vomiting to just get as much of this out of the stomach as we can.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet