Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

What can I give my 11 year old beagle

Customer Question

What can I give my 11 year old beagle for pain
Submitted: 4 months ago via
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He had back pain 1 year ago and the vet told us to crate him we did and he was fine for 1 year, he recently had pain so we created him he is moving better just seems uncomfortable and has a hard time settling. The vet told us I aspirin last time I want to give him something to alleviate the discomfort
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has he had any Aspirin yet? What dose and how often?

Is he on anything else?

How much does Duncan weigh?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Last year we gave it to him when the pain started and the vet told us to stop giving it to him, he weighs 35lbs
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually 34 lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now Aspirin is only a mild pain reliever in dogs, but it can be used in a pinch. When we do, we tend to use a buffered children's version and a 34lb dog could have 170mg up to every 12 hours. Of course, this is given after food to avoid GI upset and stopped if he has any GI signs (appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea, belly pain, black stools, pale gums, etc). So, you could choose to use this for the short term. That said, if he is very sore, then we'd be best to ring his vet about strong dog safe options. If they think this is bone based, then an anti-inflammatory like Metacam, Onsior or Rimadyl would be an option. Though if they suspect spine, Gabapentin and steroids +/- muscle relaxants tend to be better options. So, you can choose to use Aspirin as a short term pain relief option but otherwise if he has back issues, then these other alternatives would be better for the longer term to keep Duncan comfortable and settle this for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Duncan. How is everything going?