Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 5 lb pekingese and she keeps hanging her head low

Customer Question

i have a 5 lb pekingese and she keeps hanging her head low hunched over
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: gracie 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: she has not eaten much today and is moving slowly but really has her head down
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has Gracie had these signs?

Does she seem sore when you lift her head or move her neck?

Any tenderness when you press on her back or belly?

Any chance of a fall, slip, or injury?

Will she eat and drink if you hand feed her or raise her bowl to her?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi. she is not eating. but she is a picky eater
she has a small amount of shaking
she seems like she is paib and or uncomfortable and hard for her to keep her head up. I did not see her fall but she is very small and could have tripped or injured herself without us seeing.
it started early evening yesterday and last night she could not get comfortable. she does not wince when u pick her up but she is not moving well mostly sitting with her head hanging down to the floor
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I am quite concerned about Gracie.

If she seems too sore to keep her head up and isn't readily moving her head (which is a defensive behavior to avoid more pain), then we'd be worried that she may have suffered a traumatic injury, has an ongoing spinal/neck issue (ie disc disease,spinal inflammation/arthritis/abscess or mass, etc) or even an ongoing brain infection (ie bacterial, viral, protozoal) or inflammation.

Therefore, in this case and since she sounds so sore, we'd really want to get her checked by the local vet. We'd want them to do a full physical but also a neurological examination. Depending on what they find, she will need strong pain relief +/- steroids (to reduce inflammation) and possibly an xray or MRI to rule out some of these conditions and pinpoint which is present. As well, if her appetite is poor, they can start her on an appetite stimulant though I suspect if we can manage her pain she will start to eat.

Overall, Gracie's signs do raise some real worries at her age. Therefore, this is a situation where we'd be worried about her brain and spine. So, it'd be ideal to have her checked so we can narrow down which issue is present and ensure we get hr pain free and settled as quickly as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks kindly will take her into our vet asap
much appreciate your help and advice
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.