Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She is breathing heavy and stretching her neck : she has

Customer Question

she is breathing heavy and stretching her neck
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: she has addisons disease and is uncomfortable right now and breathing fast
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: stella 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stella?
Customer: other than the addisons no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
shes also foaming too
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Any chance she has eaten anything that could be stuck in her throat?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its about 60 and no she seems to have clear passages but doesnt want to lie down
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

And her gum color, as that is key here?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
gums are light pink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about your lass. Its good that her gums are not white, but if they are pale, her respiratory rate is twice its normal rate and we have neck stretching (a behavior we see when they are trying to get even more air in). It can be a sign of throat obstruction or secondary to lung compromise. And while she is Addisonian, we'd not necessarily assume this was related (unless she has an electrolyte/metabolic imbalance) and instead would be concerned about heart issues, fluid build up in the chest/lungs, tumors, pneumonia or any lung compromising issue (ie asthma, bronchitis, etc). Now with this all in mind, there is unfortunately not much one can do at home for this level of respiratory distress. In fact, I suspect your lass needs to be on oxygen just now. So, we'd need to get her to the local vet or ER vet just now for oxygen to stabilize her. Once she is stable and depending on what they find on examination, we'd want to consider possible xrays to get to the root of this for her.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?