Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dr Kara- My dog was on Temaril P doses (5mg) 12 hours apart.

Customer Question

Dr Kara-
My dog was on Temaril P for 3 doses (5mg) 12 hours apart. The vet now wants to try antibiotics thinking its a tick infection.. blood work is pending. They told me to stop the Tem P abruptly. I thought I was supposed to wean her off even at this small dose/time period (??)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
symptoms-She has a very runny nose (clear), bad nasal congestion, small temperature, and just isn't her spunky self.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now it is not ideal to stop Temaril P cold turkey, but if we have a suspect ongoing infectious process; then we do something need to do so. And if Frankie has only had a few doses, the chance of problems stopping the medication without weaning down is low. Her body won't have become dependent on the drug yet (since the reason we wean is because with long term use the adrenal glands make less steroids since the drug is already addressing their function for them and weaning lets the gland get back to work). So, it isn't ideal but if she has only had a few doses, then we can do this with little risk and should do so if there is a suspect infectious process present.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay thank you. Yes they have not confirmed the infection, however she did have an engorged tick on her a month ago so they would like to start Doxcycline. They actually wanted her on both Temaril P and D, but I don't feel comfortable with that
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome,

Its a bit of a tricky situation without the results, but it is reasonable to stop and hold off on any more Temaril P until we do. Especially since it will do no harm giving the Doxycycline just in case (though do give it with food or with a bit of food/water after to make sure the Doxycycline doesn't linger in the throat and cause irritation.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.