Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
This is Dr. KV. I'm here to help with Rufus.
Does he seem painful? Is he alert or disoriented? Can you check if his gums are pink?
Ok, thank you for the info. What breed of dog is Rufus?
I'm worried Rufus may have ingested something toxic since he is so lethargic...that is unusual for a dog of estimated age 4. I recommend taking him to a vet tonight to get examined. They may be able to rule out a toxin by doing a blood test.
Has he ever gotten into the garbage or eaten something he wasn't supposed to?
If he did eat something toxic, the sooner he gets treatment the better. Some toxins such as rat bait can cause bleeding problems that are life threatening. There is sometimes a delay of several days from ingestion to showing signs of illness. This is something I worry about for Rufus as you mentioned his gums look greyish instead of pink. There is treatment for this toxin, but it is time sensitive.
Please feel free to reach out if I can assist you further. I hope Rufus feels better soon.
Please take a moment to provide positive feedback if the info provided was helpful.