Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

My dog won't get up. He was fine 2 hours ago but now won't

Customer Question

My dog won't get up. He was fine 2 hours ago but now won't stand up and seems like he can't walk more than a couple feet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rufus, he is roughly 4. Got him from a shelter so don't know age or breed for sure
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rufus?
Customer: No labored breathing or anything. Just won't move, even to go for a walk
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I'm here to help with Rufus.

Does he seem painful? Is he alert or disoriented? Can you check if his gums are pink?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He doesn't seem in pain. Just inresponsive. His gums don't look as pink as normal. More of a gray tone
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He just won't stand up or walk or move at all

Ok, thank you for the info. What breed of dog is Rufus?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know, he is a mix breed. I got him from a shelter and have never done a dna test

I'm worried Rufus may have ingested something toxic since he is so lethargic...that is unusual for a dog of estimated age 4. I recommend taking him to a vet tonight to get examined. They may be able to rule out a toxin by doing a blood test.

Has he ever gotten into the garbage or eaten something he wasn't supposed to?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not today as far as I know. Is there anything I can do now?

If he did eat something toxic, the sooner he gets treatment the better. Some toxins such as rat bait can cause bleeding problems that are life threatening. There is sometimes a delay of several days from ingestion to showing signs of illness. This is something I worry about for Rufus as you mentioned his gums look greyish instead of pink. There is treatment for this toxin, but it is time sensitive.

Please feel free to reach out if I can assist you further. I hope Rufus feels better soon.

Please take a moment to provide positive feedback if the info provided was helpful.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katie Volat