How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Jo Your Own Question
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 2474
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Jo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

She ate cat rat poison : My daughter said she had a pellet

Customer Question

She ate Tom cat rat poison
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: My daughter said she had a pellet in her mouth and she swallowed almost all of it
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

Hello,
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your dog and the TomCat rat poison.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In order to help me help you better, I'll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

  • Exactly how long ago did this happen?
  • What kind of dog and how old?
  • Please check the active ingredient on the TomCat container. Is it bromethalin?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

***And I'll emphasize that this is an urgent matter. Bromethalin is a very deadly poison and you will need to take emergency action if that is the case.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She ate it about 2 hours ago and I don't know what ingredient is in it because she ate it at the neighbors house... She is a Yorkie mix
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My dog is acting very normal.. Playful and active
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your quick reply. It is imperative you get confirmation of exactly what kind of poison this was. I don't want to be overwhelmingly alarming, but if it is a TomCat poison containing bromethalin, even a small dose can be lethal to a yorkie. It works fast, even if she is not showing signs yet. You only have a few hours to take action to keep it from being absorbed into her system. Once she starts to show any symptoms at all, it's not very likely she can be saved. This is an emergency.

A quick scan of products in my database is showing I can't find any Tomcat products that are NOT bromethalin. Please get her to an emergency center right away. They will be able to induce vomiting and give charcoal to try to prevent absorption. There is no antidote. I can tell you more about this, but time is of the essence. Please also do whatever you can in a timely manner to get more information from your neighbor.

I'll get you a link that explains how deadly this poison is, and hard to treat.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

In the veterinary emergency room, the general practice is to treat bromethalin ingestion quickly because you have a chance to save the dog if you see him eat it and get as much of it out as possible. Dogs who arrive at the emergency room showing symptoms are given a poor prognosis and the odds are not in favor of survival.

Please get her to the vet right away if there is any chance this is a bromethalin poison.

Other poisonings with anti-coagulants don't need such urgent treatment after ingestion, because there is an antidote (Vitamin K). But there is no antidote for bromethalin.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

I'm so sorry I don't have better news for you. Please seek emergency care right away. If you'd take a moment to update me later on, I'd love to hear from you. It's always better to be safe than sorry in a situation like this.

I hope this information was helpful to you.
Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 5 months ago.

Hello,

Just checking in to ask how things have gone for your dog. I've been worried, but still hopeful you were able to get the help you needed.

Thank you.