Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

9 week female mini daushund puppy has rapid breathing - vet

Customer Question

9 week female mini daushund puppy has rapid breathing - vet after x-Ray showed enlarged heart. Appointment with cardiologist to do further test .. What's prognosis?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Winnie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winnie?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear there is a problem with Winnie's heart. My name is Rebecca I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The prognosis depends on what is wrong with her heart that is causing the enlargement and her rapid breathing. Does she have a heart murmur, was that mentioned? The cardiologist will do an echocardiogram, which will probably tell what the problem is and once the exact diagnosis is made, the best treatment and the prognosis will be known.

This could be a congenital defect such as PDA (patent ductus arteriosis) where a vessel that was supposed to close at birth (called the ductus arteriosis) remained open (or "patent"). It could be a defective heart valve or a problem with the heart muscle itself.

When do you see the cardiologist?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is Winnie doing?