Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

He is 5 # and ate a piece of pasta with garlic sauce :

Customer Question

He is 5 # ***** ate a piece of pasta with garlic sauce
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gunnar
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gunnar?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

There should be no worries with this. Yes, we do worry about garlic, but it is fresh (uncooked) garlic that is our concern. Cooked garlic in the low amount in such types of sauces is probably going to be just fine. There might be more concern if he ate the entire place of pasta. Overall, probably he will be just fine.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.

To be more specific, it takes about 5 g of garlic per kg of body weight to cause issues in dogs (hemolysis). At 5 lbs that means he would need to eat 11g of garlic which is about 3-4 minced teaspoons of fresh garlic OR about 1 teaspoonful of garlic powder. Do you think there was that much Fresh garlic is less potent than powdered (because it has been dried and concentrated). Onion and garlic powder can be present in a lot of foods, but usually in very small amounts. Exceptions would be things like onion-flavored soup or gravy mixes and some baby foods, which can have considerably higher levels of onion/garlic.

In one piece of pasta, there is going to be some garlic but I cannot think there would be enough garlic concentrated on that small bit.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.

Let me know what questions you have.