Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My nine month old puppy has a enormous amount of energy and

Customer Question

My nine month old puppy has a enormous amount of energy and just like a normal puppy is always getting into everything and ripping everything up well about two and a half hours ago he started acting funny looking a little lethargic but he'll still play and drink and eat and follow me around the house but he's having a problem keeping his balance and he's throwing up now I don't know if he got a hold of some of the stuffing in a pillow that he had ripped up but he's acting really funny I do not have the money to go to a bit I'm in the middle of chemo and radiation what do I do???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

Is he up to date on vaccines?

Has he had any new foods, treats, people food?

How long has he been vomiting?

Is he still eating/drinking/ect?

Could he have gotten into anything unusual?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ma'am he's up to date on all of his shots including parvo rabies he hasn't changed food I think my nephew gave him the rest of his slim jim this morning but other than that nothing has changed so the only two different things in his life is the pillow that he tore up and slim jim and I'm kind of figuring it's the pillows what I don't know is is it going to die do I need to give him peroxide to try to pump his stomach he has not vomited in about 30 minutes he's been in my lap asleep snoring up a storm which is nothing unusual
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

When did he tear up the pillow?

When he eats or drinks, doe he keep it down?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Last night and this morning , it was the a pillow in his bed I work nights and had doctors app this morning so from 7pm-9:30am....he as eaten and drank more than has been regurgitated
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
then like every dog tries to re-eat it !
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Okay....since it's only been a couple hours, I don't think we should rush to the conclusion that he has an obstruction from the pillow...especially since he has eaten and drank and kept some of it down.

, I think we should just treat it like a case of simple digestive upset.
The gold standard for treatment of digestive upset in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast him for 24 hours (providing he doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require he eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1-2 tablespoons every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in the vomit, starts having bloody diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have him seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection, but as a general rule, this clears up with just the fasting and then bland diet.

I understand that you(like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: ,, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: , you can see if there is one in your area.

I hope this helps.