Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I'm trying to figure the best way to get my dog to poop out

Customer Question

I'm trying to figure the best way to get my dog to poop out the rest of something he ate
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

What is it you think Rusty ate, please? We don't want to do anything that might push a sharp object through his gastrointestinal tract which could perforate it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
From what I can tell, it is a small piece of fabric. He vomited twice yesterday, although since then he has eaten and held down his food. A short while ago he went out to poop and the poop seemed to contain some kind of fabric and got stuck coming out. I helped cut the piece that had already come out but was hanging there.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
did you get my response?

Thank you! An over the counter pediatric enema should be safe and just might do the trick. You'll need help administering it to Rusty but it's a quick procedure. Oral laxatives and stool softeners wouldn't make sense because the fabric is already in Rusty's distal colon. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you I'll try that!

You're welcome! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.