Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a horrible deep cough I believe its kennel cough

Customer Question

My dog has a horrible deep cough I believe its kennel cough but he still has energy playing and eating. is there something over the counter I can give him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Quincy and he's approx 1 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Quincy?
Customer: about 14 lbs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Yes, such a young and otherwise well dog coughing as you've described is likely to be suffering from infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough") rather than more serious cardiopulmonary disorders seen in older dogs. Thankfully, kennel cough should remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks. Unfortunately, there's nothing of value over the counter. Most of those products contain dextromethorphan and that drug is no longer recommended in dogs due to lack of efficacy. It's now conjectured that cough syrups containing that drug actually work because those products also contain a significant amount of alcohol - which is poorly tolerated by dogs. You're likely to see a better response to honey dosed to Quincy at a teaspoon every few hours as needed and keeping Quincy as quiet as possible. if you see worsening instead of the expected improvement over the initial 10 days of his illness, it would be best to have his vet take a look at him. Either doxycycline or amoxicillin/clavulanate can be prescribed to address the Bordetella bronchiseptica bacteria found in kennel cough.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.