Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is a 5 month boxter, he recently got into some plants

Customer Question

My dog is a 5 month boxter, he recently got into some plants Saturday evening and spent all Sunday lethargic. Spent most of the day sleeping and refuse to eat any food. Today he's now eating lightly, but when he walks he's a little hunched over
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What type of plants were they?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Is he drinking normally?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi!
Thanks for the response! It's not normal to see him like that since he's a very active and happy puppy. ;)
What type of plants were they? Some tomato stock and some brush ivy not poison ivy.Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting? None.Is he drinking normally? He's not drinking anything.Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky? Look normal, pink not white or pale.If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain? Nothing. No tenderness, or discomfort.Any diarrhea? No diarrhea.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I added my answers inline to your questions. Hope that works?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I have received them and will post my reply in full momentarily.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Now if he was chewing on tomato plants, this is likely our culprit for his current signs. These are not dog friendly and often cause severe GI upset, nausea, cramps, lethargy, depression, weakness, lethargy, and in large doses can even depress the nervous system.

With this in mind, even if he isn't vomiting, we do need to address nausea that is causing his poor appetite and cramps. To do so at home, you can try him with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, these plants are likely our trigger for his current signs. Its good that he is eating now but his signs still suggest that he is nauseous and has belly discomfort. So, we'd want to use the above now. Though if we do so and that hunching doesn't settle, we'd need to have him seen by his vet for gut safe pain relief but also to make sure that there isn't anything non-edible in the gut causing issues as well.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OkWill give this a shot.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

That would be ideal. :)

Take care,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks so much!Have a great one!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome,

Take care,

Dr. B

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chato. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HiCustomer
Your advise definitely did the trick.Chato is back to normal! I think he's even learned his lesson. He's not going anywhere near the garden :-)Thanks so much!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

You are very welcome and thank you for the update.

I am very glad to hear that we managed to settle his stomach and get Chato back to feeling like himself. :)

Best wishes & all the best,

Dr. B.

***Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to you). Thank you!: )