Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I found my 10 week old golden retriever playing with my

Customer Question

I found my 10 week old golden retriever playing with my daughter's Mardi Gras beads this morning. She had broken them apart, unclear is she swallowed any. She is behaving normally - anything I should be on the look out for?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ginger
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ginger?
Customer: I don't think so - normal and healthy 10 week puppy. The incident happened around 8am and at 9:15 I took her out and she had regular bowel movements and peed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I would expect even a little 10 week old Ginger to be able to pass a mardi gras bead through her gastrointestinal tract unaided. Watch for the symptoms of GI obstruction - persistent vomiting and anorexia over the next 48 hours. Should these develop X-rays are indicated to see if Ginger needs her first ever surgery! Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. So far she is behaving like her normal self! Will keep an eye.

You're welcome. I'm pleased to hear that Ginger is doing well. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.