Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She is completely broke out in bumps and scratching day and

Customer Question

She is completely broke out in bumps and scratching day and night. I think she got into our old dog house outside and caught something from in there. We have her and our "daddy" dog. He is showing no signs of being bitten by anything. As of Saturday, she had puppies 8 weeks ago. I don't know what to do for the itching. It is starting to get to her. Her feet and hind part is covered with red itchy bumps.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: She is starting to bleed on the side of her and on her back legs where she has scratched and bitten too much.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Izzie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Icier?
Customer: She does have food allergy. We changed over to grain free "Taste of the Wild" bison food.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Do the bumps look like pimples/pustules or hives?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Kind of hive looking. A week today
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if this has been going on a week already, we'd be concerned that there is something in the environment or something she has eaten has triggered an allergic reaction here. Therefore, as long as we aren't seeing pimples (a sign of bacterial infection, where antibiotics would be indicated), we can try to counter any allergy issues here for Izzie.

To start, we can put her onto an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). Though if she is very itchy, we may need to use the high end of the dose range I noted. Of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And if we find that this cannot soothe her signs, we’d then want her vet to start her on a strong injectable anti-inflamamtory (ie steroids) to counter this for her as quickly as possible.

Otherwise, if we can get her more settled, we’d want to follow this with some topical skin care for those raw lesions. Specifically, we can bathe them in a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, salt water) 2-3 times daily. Afterwards pat dry and you can alternate between OTC Neosporin for the open lesions and hydrocortisone cream for the red/itchy areas. As well, to reduce her further self-trauma (as that tends to lead to the skin damage we are seeing and is an infection risk), you may need prevent her access to these areas. If she is biting, then an e-collar or tshirt can be used to protect her skin. As well, if she is scratching with her back feet, you may want to clip her back toenails short (or you can put socks on her feet) to reduce the potential for further damage as we try to soothe this irritation for her.

Overall, this sounds like an allergic dermatitis causing Izzie bother. Therefore, we'd want to take the above approach to soothe her itch and help those raw areas heal before we see any secondary infection. Of course, if infection does take hold or she doesn't settle with the above, then we'd want her checked by her vet for antibiotics +/- steroids to nip this in the bud.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Thanks for response. One last question. She is still nursing once a day with 8 week old puppies. Will any of the above treatments affect her nursing?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome,

That does make this tricky. You can use the low dose while she is nursing, but if it is not enough to counter her signs, we'd have to consider bottle feeding the puppies while a high dose of Benadryl or steroids was in use.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet