Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is a 3 month old corgi and he just swallowed a whole

Customer Question

hi pearl
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: my dog is a 3 month old corgi and he just swallowed a whole chicken bone without chewing whatsoever
JA: The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: the bone is about 5cm long
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: the dogs name is pablo
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: no i think thats all
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

Did it appear to have any sharp edges?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi Dr B.
he ate this about 10 minutes ago
it didnt have any sharp edges, it was the round edged bones
i think its too early for him to show any signs, im just worried if he can digest this? thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now in situations like this, we do always need to tread with care. This is because chicken bones can soften in stomach acid and be passed by the gut; but a whole one in a small dog like Pablo runs the risk of blockage. As well, if a bone has any chance of sharp edges, there is risk of gut damage.

Now it isn't advisable to induce vomiting when they eat bones, since any sharp shard that could have arisen from him biting down on the bone could lacerate the throat (which is very difficult to surgically address). Therefore, since he has just had this, it'd be ideal to have him to his vet urgently so they can use their endoscope (a scope with a camera) to remove it from the stomach safely and avoid any harm.

Otherwise, if that isn't an option, then we need to take a supportive care and close monitoring approach to this situation. To start, we will want to feed him small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled and reduce his diarrhea volume. Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up his stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut. Though do be aware that when using the lubricants, we can see self limiting runny stools, but that tends to settle once we are finished using it.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on him. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having him seen would be best for his vet to have a feel of his belly +/- an xray to see where the bone is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. Therefore, we'd be best to have this scoped out of Pablo's stomach. Otherwise, you can consider the above steps for him while keeping a close eye. If it softens enough for him to digest, then we'd hope not to see any signs for the next 48 hours. Though any of warning signs, then having him examined +/- xrayed would be ideal so you can appreciate where the bone is and whether there is any risk that may mean it needs to be removed surgically.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet