Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 6 lb. Yorkie may have taken a donepizil 10 mg about 4 1/2

Customer Question

My 6 lb. Yorkie may have taken a donepizil 10 mg about 4 1/2 hours ago. is this toxic?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Julie

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Donepezil is starting to be used by some vets for the same sort of cognitive dysfunction that we see in dogs as in humans. The dose ranges from 10 - 0 mg depending on the size of the dog so this may be within a margin of safety Sharrow.

2. However as more than four hours has passed it is now too late to induce vomiting so all you can do is to keep an eye on your Yorkie and then contact an ER vet if any serious side effects occur, these could include salivation, diarrhea, depression, leaking of urine, slow heart rate.

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is more mellow now, but was licking his paws a lot and running around the house and rolling around. My daughter woke me up because he was acting strange. My mother is staying here and has Alzheimer's and May have dropped her pill.
Shortly after I gave her her pill tonight, i took shadow out and he ate grass and threw up and then started acting weird.
Now he is laying down and very mellow.

Sorry should read " The dose ranges from 10-30 mg depending on the size of the dog "

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

It is very encouraging that he is laying down and relaxed and also good that he vomited.

But please get back to me if things change in any way.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I will.

.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just woke up and Shadow is acting strange again. He seems to be extremely itchy? He will jump up, run down the hall, rub his body along the corners, roll around, lick his paws and knees (almost like he's nibbling on them).

Hello again,

Just picked up your message ...

As far as I am aware this sort of reaction is not typical of listed side effects of Donepezil in the dog, however this does seem to much of a coincidence.

As long as things do not get any worse then you probably are not taking too much of a risk in sitting things out until the drug naturally drains from Shadow's system as I would expect it to do sometime over the next 12 - 24 hours. But if in doubt it may be best to take him to an ER vet.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Thanks again.

No problem Julie, glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Julie,

I am just checking back in to see how Shadow is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the accidental donepizil ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.